When you choose to organize your wedding in France, it’s because you are seeking that French style. Our internationally renowned “Art de Vivre” is also reflected in how we organize, plan, and celebrate weddings. And that’s exactly what you come to find in our beautiful country!
Alright, but how does that translate concretely? What is a French wedding?
In the title of this article, I indicated “what does it mean”, but I should have specified “according to me”.
What is the French “Art de Vivre”?
Let’s start from the beginning. Many of my clients contact me because they want to organize a French-style wedding, with its different codes. But when I question them about what they have in mind, it’s often unclear. “Art de Vivre”, French elegance, these are expressions we see a lot on social media. But do you really know what they mean?
I will take this opportunity to share my vision of the French “Art de Vivre” for a wedding.
The state of mind associated with the French “Art de Vivre”, including the art of table setting, is characterized by a focus on enjoyment, appreciation, and creating a convivial atmosphere. It encompasses several key elements:
- Respect for Food: The French approach to dining emphasizes the importance of quality ingredients, culinary traditions, and taking the time to savor and appreciate each dish. There is a reverence for food, where meals are seen as moments of pleasure and connection.
- Attention to Detail: The French value the finer details and strive for perfection in every aspect of the dining experience. This includes meticulously arranging table settings, choosing appropriate tableware, and creating an inviting ambiance. The goal is to create a visually appealing and harmonious environment that enhances the enjoyment of the meal.
- Hospitality and Welcoming Guests: French hospitality is known for its warmth and generosity. When hosting a meal, there is a genuine desire to make guests feel comfortable and well-cared for. The art of table setting extends beyond aesthetics to creating an atmosphere of hospitality, ensuring guests feel welcomed and valued.
- Engagement and Conversation: The French art of living encourages lively and meaningful conversations around the table. Mealtimes are seen as an opportunity for connection, sharing stories, and engaging in intellectual discussions. The table setting is designed to facilitate interaction and create a convivial atmosphere where everyone can participate and enjoy each other’s company.
- Appreciation of Beauty: French culture places a strong emphasis on aesthetics and the appreciation of beauty. This extends to the art of table setting, where careful attention is given to colors, textures, and overall visual appeal. The arrangement of tableware, linens, and decorations is done with an eye for elegance and harmony, creating a visually pleasing experience for all.
In essence, the state of mind associated with the French art of living and table setting involves a genuine love for good food, attention to detail, hospitality, meaningful conversations, and an appreciation for beauty. It is a holistic approach that aims to create memorable and enjoyable dining experiences.
Focus on the French cuisine: a recognized savoir-faire worldwide
The place of the wine
Wine holds a special place in the art of living the French way. France has a rich and renowned wine culture that is deeply intertwined with its gastronomy and lifestyle. French wines are celebrated for their diversity, complexity, and quality, and they are often considered an essential accompaniment to a meal.
In the context of a French-style wedding or the art of living in general, wine is not only seen as a beverage but also as an emblem of conviviality, refinement, and appreciation for the finer things in life. The selection and pairing of wines with different courses are carefully considered to enhance the overall dining experience. Wine tastings, discussions about vineyards and terroir, and the enjoyment of good company while savoring a glass of wine are all part of the French approach to the art of living.
The art of table setting
The art of table setting, known as “l’art de la table” in French, is an integral part of the French way of living. It involves creating an aesthetically pleasing and harmonious arrangement of tableware, linens, and decorations to enhance the dining experience.
In French culture, table setting is approached with great attention to detail and elegance. It includes selecting the appropriate tablecloth, napkins, and tableware that complement the overall theme or occasion. Each piece is carefully placed, considering the proper alignment and spacing.
The table setting may also incorporate decorative elements such as fresh flowers, candles, or centerpieces, adding a touch of beauty and refinement to the dining environment. The arrangement should be visually appealing and create a welcoming atmosphere for guests.
Additionally, the French art of table setting includes the knowledge of table manners and etiquette. This encompasses proper placement of utensils, glasses, and plates, as well as understanding the sequence of courses and the appropriate use of each item.
Overall, the art of table setting in the French way reflects a sense of style, elegance, and attention to detail, creating a memorable and sophisticated dining experience.
What about the aesthetic when planning a French wedding?
The aesthetic aspect of the French “Art de Vivre” encompasses attention to detail, refinement, and a sense of beauty. From the choice of table linens and dinnerware to the arrangement of flowers and decor, every element is carefully considered to create an inviting and visually appealing ambiance. French aesthetics often emphasize elegance, sophistication, and a harmonious balance between tradition and modernity. All these elements can be taken into consideration when planning a French wedding.
Do you now understand what planning a French-style wedding entails?
Are you convinced? How about we start planning your French-style wedding today? Please contact me right HERE.